[LAU] I just don't know Jack anymore.

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Thu Jun 3 01:21:24 UTC 2010

I'm updating packages on a studio machine that's been fairly stable with
Jack 0.116.2, just to catch up with what's been going on.  Jack's been
up to all kinds of stuff since then though.

There's Jack with DBus, Jack without DBus, Jack that does realtime by
default, Jack that needs '-R' for realtime, Jack specialized for
multiple processors, Jack that runs on multiple processors but isn't
specialized for it...there's probably a plain old Jack somewhere too.

I know Jack's been a busy guy, and all work and no play make Jack a dull
boy, but all these choices and options are enough to make someone go get
a bottle of Jack and get jacked up just thinking about it.

I'm running Gentoo with the Pro-Audio overlay, and it looks like there
are versions from both the 0.x and 1.x series available.  What's
recommended these days for someone with four AMD cores, RME hardware
(via PCI-E, no firewire), and has always worked fine with the 0.x series
even on SMP?  (And I have no PulseAudio, and don't plan on getting any.)

Sorry about the silly questions...  As you can see, I don't know Jack.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky