[LAU] I just don't know Jack anymore.

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Jun 3 00:33:05 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Brent Busby's message of 2010-06-03 03:21:24 +0200:
> I'm updating packages on a studio machine that's been fairly stable with
> Jack 0.116.2, just to catch up with what's been going on.  Jack's been
> up to all kinds of stuff since then though.
>
> There's Jack with DBus, Jack without DBus, Jack that does realtime by
> default, Jack that needs '-R' for realtime, Jack specialized for
> multiple processors, Jack that runs on multiple processors but isn't
> specialized for it...there's probably a plain old Jack somewhere too.
>
> I know Jack's been a busy guy, and all work and no play make Jack a dull
> boy, but all these choices and options are enough to make someone go get
> a bottle of Jack and get jacked up just thinking about it.
>
> I'm running Gentoo with the Pro-Audio overlay, and it looks like there
> are versions from both the 0.x and 1.x series available.  What's
> recommended these days for someone with four AMD cores, RME hardware
> (via PCI-E, no firewire), and has always worked fine with the 0.x series
> even on SMP?  (And I have no PulseAudio, and don't plan on getting any.)
>
> Sorry about the silly questions...  As you can see, I don't know Jack.

Hi Brent.
I'll try to keep it simple:
- 0.x is jack1, plain old jack. It works on any machine but only on a
  single core.
- 1.x is jack2, just another implementation. It works on any machine and
  takes advantage of smp

There are some implementations that I just call 'minor' here, and every
implementation has its pros and cons. If you're happy with jack1 you can
stick with it, it's the earliest implementation afaik and hence probably
the most stable one.
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan