[LAU] Sustain pedal issue with undesired repeated notes (m-audio keystation 88es + qjackctl + qsynth)

David Santamauro david.santamauro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 09:21:31 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 10:57:13 +0200
Nicolas BERCHER <nbercher at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> So, I checked what's going on:
> $ aseqdump --list
>   Port    Client name                      Port name
>    0:0    System                           Timer
>    0:1    System                           Announce
>   14:0    Midi Through                     Midi Through Port-0
>   20:0    SB Live! Value [CT4870]          EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
>   24:0    USB Keystation 88es              USB Keystation 88es MIDI 1
> $ aseqdump -p 24:0
> Waiting for data. Press Ctrl+C to end.
> Source_ Event_________________ Ch _Data__
>   24:0   Control change          0  64 127
>   24:0   Note on                 0  82  82
>   24:0   Note on                 0  82   0
>   24:0   Control change          0  64   0
>
> The above sequence dumped by aseqdump shows only one note event
> (lines 2+3: press+release) but I heard a delayed note as mentioned in
> my first mail.

Actually, there are two note events and both are NOTE ON, one with
velocity of 82 and the other 0. The velocity 0 should be interpreted as
NOTE OFF.

I had a similar problem and solved it by putting kmidimon between my
keyboard and sequencer.

Could it be that qsynth doesn't handle NOTE ON with
velocity of 0 as NOTE OFF? Although I imagine that translation should
be happening at a lower level... just a guess.

David