[LAU] [Bulk] Re: Sustain pedal issue with undesired repeated notes (m-audio keystation 88es + qjackctl + qsynth)

Nicolas BERCHER nbercher at yahoo.fr
Tue Jun 8 10:57:37 UTC 2010

On 08.06.2010 12:13, R. Mattes wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 11:55:01 +0200, Nicolas BERCHER wrote
>
>> On 08.06.2010 11:12, david wrote:
>>
>>> WAGging around: Is your USB MIDI connection sharing a USB bus with
>>> other USB devices? Maybe some other USB device is doing something
>>> weird with the bus and something isn't getting handled right?
>>>
> No, please. This is highly unlikely. Iff something on the bus would
> spoof the device ID of the Midi interface things would go crazzy long
> before a note on event would be recognized ...

I agree and I thought that the midi keyboard driver would go crazy if
things goes wrong on the usb bus (which is upstream relative to the midi
driver and then the midi events...). But I still tested it!

>> Do you think this problem could come from an hardware failure into
>> my SB Live sound card?
>>
> How should that happen? If no midi note event shows up in the dump
> the problem must be in qsynth (or the sound font it uses). What sound
> found do you use, BTW?

Argh, I didn't thought it could come from the sound fount I use!
(Indeed, the hardware failure I suspected was "a kind of memory
corruption (fixed pattern interacting only with the 4 notes mentioned?)
leading to a wrong pointer which induces to loop through the wave
table... thus resulting in delayed notes... ok, it might sound crazy but
I thought about it!)

I have multiple sound fonts in qsynth settings (setup/soundfont tab):
1) /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GS.sf2 (Debian package fluid-soundfont-gs)
2) /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 (Debian package fluid-soundfont-gm)
3) AI-APiano02trans.sf2 (from www.sf2-files.com)
4) WST25FStein_00Sep22.SF2 (from www.pianosounds.com)

(... I have to admit that I don't master yet the way I choose the one I
want to play with and configure the presets things the way I want!)

Nicolas.