[LAU] amarok's phonon-vlc claimed to "simply sound awesome" ... why?

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 07:38:08 UTC 2010

KDE's "amarok" media player seems to have been improved a lot; I might
even replace 'rhythmbox' with it, now that I've gone KDE....

Looking at http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/1171-Rapid-Progress-in-KDE-Multimedia.html
I notice the following statement:
> Let me sum up why exactly this new Phonon backend is so important to us:
> Phonon-VLC is fully cross-platform, so we don't need special backends for Windows and Mac any more
> It's already far more stable than most other existing Phonon backends
> We can now focus on creating one good backend, instead of having 10 more or less broken ones
> It simply sounds awesome. I'm not sure why that is, but the sound quality is notably better than with xine

What exactly about  http://gitorious.org/phonon/phonon-vlc would make
it "sound awesome" ?
Or is there a problem with Xine that would make it sound less awesome??

Also, what's the preferred KDE backend for multimedia? In "System
Settings"->Multimedia->Backend, my system has "Phonon Xine Backend"  (
http://www.xinehq.de/ ) as preferred, and "Phonon GStreamer backend" (
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/ ) as secondary. Is that the correct
configuration, or should I be using Phonon GStreamer backend instead?

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com