[LAU] OT: Microphone choice for pipe organ

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Thu Jun 24 17:49:51 UTC 2010

On 06/24/2010 12:39 AM, Jonathan Gazeley wrote:
> I don't know if anyone can tell me - if I use an XY pair for the
> choir and an AB pair for the organ, is it OK to simply mix the two
> stereo feeds?

yes. be careful with AB, though: you *must* pan them hard left/right
(unless they are really far apart), otherwise you'll get comb filtering.
(you get it anyway, but only in the listener's living room, which is not
as bad as on your mixer bus!)

if you want to "balance" AB pairs, work with the levels only, not the
panners.

with XY, you can pan to your heart's content :)
do you have a chance to have the choir arranged in a semicircle? that
will make the coverage more even. in any case, get that microphone up up
up. (reduces the effective distance differences from front to back row,
and prevents occlusion of the rear singers.)