[LAU] OT: Microphone choice for pipe organ

Monty Montgomery xiphmont at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 18:39:26 UTC 2010

> I'd try a pair of cheap "measurement" mikes like the T-bone MM-1,
> Behringer ECM8000 etc. They're omni and the capsule is certainly
> small !

The Behringers are very noisy, and they vary wildly in characteristics
from unit to unit.  They're literally made with whatever was cheapest
that day from any given supplier.

I use them as 'starting points' for building nicer calibrated mics
because I can reuse the bodies, PCB and connector.  And for $39,
that's cheaper than starting from raw components.  But the first thing
I do is toss the capsules and half the electronics on the board.
They're literally hilarious on the inside.

In short--- they're worth the $40 as parts, but not quite as a mic.

Monty