[LAU] OT: Microphone choice for pipe organ

Chris Edwards cme at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jun 17 10:57:57 UTC 2010

Loki Davison wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Monty Montgomery <xiphmont at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have to agree on the noise level of the ECM8000 but also have to
> mention how much I now like Omni mics, i have a pair and leave them at
> the end of the room and it just sounds good! :) Minimum time spent
> fiddling with mics and other stuff and max time spent with my guitars.
> :) I use the ECM8000's much more often than my collection of nice
> condensers now.

"Me too" for omni mics - I've got some nice stereophonic effects with
mine (also ECM8000s) either spaced wide apart, using a home-made Jecklin
disc arrangement, and more recently up against a couple of panels as
boundary mics.  I guess it's the neutrality of the tone that I like -
captures the tone of the room - although they can be a bit lacking in
character by themselves.  Great for drums, surprisingly good on electric
guitar as well as acoustic.

Hmm, I should take a look inside my ECM8000s - I could do with a laugh. :^)
--
Chris