[LAU] A Bach in appology and completeness :-)

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jun 21 05:14:23 UTC 2010

Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hi Rustom!
>   I think this is all equal. I don't know about Aeolus, but since it
> works fine with other instruments, I assume it is tempered the same way.

Aeolus is equal-tempered by default, but you can readily change it.

>   The Hammerklavier I used for the C Major invention has an older
> tuning. You can also find it on the website, lower down. I think it
> might be a roughly baroque tuning.

I've heard that before equal temperament arrived, there were very real
differences between different keys, so that a piece written in C major
would not sound harmonically the same as the same piece played in A
major. That since equal temperament was adopted, there's less
character/difference between the different keys.

Now it's just a matter of transposing and you get the same thing, only
higher or lower ...

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com