[LAU] A Bach in appology and completeness :-)

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 19:05:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 3:19 AM, Julien Claassen <julien at c-lab.de> wrote:
> Hello Niels!
>  Thanks for these tarballs. As for the other tools you mentioned: Although I
> like the commandline I know no such things. I know, that Timidity estimates
> the playback length of one file. And I'm sure there are other tools
> libraries that can easily do it. But noone I know of, thought of this kind
> of problem.

Hi Julien -- you're welcome, and thanks for sharing your music and
starting this interesting thread.

If I had time/desire, i'd probably look into using
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rbd/doc/nyquist/ to solve this problem.

FYI, here's how this MIDI sounds, on the Yamaha DB60XG (NEC XR-385)
whose analog output is recorded by the line-in/waveblaster input on
the Terratec DMX6Fire; versus an external sampler with a 2mb
"professional" stereo grand sample (E-MU Elements of Sound 2mb
collectiion) and external outboard "professional" room/ambience
applied, staying entirely in the digital domain from samples to
recording.

I'll let people decide which is which, and which sounds better or more
realistic and piano-like:
http://nielsmayer.com/npm/chpn_op53_gnulem.ogg
http://nielsmayer.com/npm/chpn_op53_coggie.ogg

Both created from:
## file ~/Music/piano-midi/chpn_op53.mid
/home/npm/Music/piano-midi/chpn_op53.mid: Standard MIDI data (format
1) using 8 tracks at 1/480

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com

PS: When using kmid to listen to the piano-only MIDI files from
http://piano-midi.de/ -- they're all very quiet. since the overall
volume level on the Yamaha db60xg is adjusted for playing multiple
(16) simultaneous tracks of "pop" music as opposed to a single
piano.... So after running "kmid *.mid *.MID", I quit kmid, and run
the following script to set all the volumes to 200% on these files:
## with this setting, set Terratec DMX6Fire ADC2(LineL)/ADC3(LineR)
##  to 135/135 (normally 127/127 == unity gain)
cd ~/.kde/share/apps/kmid/songlib
sed -i 's|^volume=100|volume=200|' `grep -l piano-midi *.cfg`

Afterwards, running kmid on these files will automatically have the
volume level at a more normal leve (200%), which is still well below
clipping on most files I've auditioned using unity gain on the
soundcard input.