[LAU] A Bach in appology and completeness :-)

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jun 21 21:09:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:05:25PM -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:

> FYI, here's how this MIDI sounds, on the Yamaha DB60XG (NEC XR-385)
> whose analog output is recorded by the line-in/waveblaster input on
> the Terratec DMX6Fire; versus an external sampler with a 2mb
> "professional" stereo grand sample (E-MU Elements of Sound 2mb
> collectiion) and external outboard "professional" room/ambience
> applied, staying entirely in the digital domain from samples to
> recording.
>
> I'll let people decide which is which, and which sounds better or more
> realistic and piano-like:
> http://nielsmayer.com/npm/chpn_op53_gnulem.ogg
> http://nielsmayer.com/npm/chpn_op53_coggie.ogg

The chpn_op53_gnulem.ogg file made me think of a harpsicord, at least
for the first 20 seconds and any other time that the playing is fast.

The file chpn_op53_coggie.ogg sounded much better but still I think the
beginning sounds terrible.

In both cases I think the scales sound very mechanical.  I went and
listened to some performances on YouTube, and they sounded much better.
BTW, I rather liked this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZGi49Bnghs

BTW, every one is entitled to like what they like, and want the tools
they want to use, but based on those two files (and I know only one was
done on the XG) I'm not clear on what the fascination with the
Yamaha DB60XG (NEC XR-385) is.  Do you have other files that better
demostrate it?  How hard is it to get the card to do the flamenco guitar
type stuff that the wikipedia page refers to?