[LAU] Fwd: OT: Microphone choice for pipe organ

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Jun 22 19:17:41 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tuesday 22 June 2010 16:39:03 Aaron Krister Johnson wrote:
> Re:Behringer.....I don't know about their mics, but I do have a small
> Euro-rack mixer, and I've had nothing but good feelings about it. I know an
> engineer who swears that the ICs in most of these mixers is the same
> anyway.....

Their mixers are noisy as hell. The new series (since they made them silver)
even more then the old series of consoles (dark blue). They have serious
cross-talk problems.
And the new series also feature some brain-dead design ideas: Who the hell
thinks its a good idea to have the mute-button _not_ mute the monitor feeds in
a board designed to do both monitoring and foh??? Good luck in fighting feed-
backs.
And they break after about two years of light usage with little or no moving
around.

The good products from them are very few:
 - Their 19" headphone amp seems to be a cheap standard if you need many
channels for choirs and such. But there are good alternatives from SM-Pro for
example.
 - Their digital console is relatively good quality for the money making it a
good item for starters and little churches (with no money). Still it breaks
after 2 years of usage.
 - With Fons hack, their ADA-8000 seems to be good for the price.

But most (all?) of their products suffer from bad design (as in board layout),
cheap parts and cheap labour mounting the devices. And from engineers that
have to save while copying other firms successful devices. And apparently they
seem to make money with that. Probably the same as trash-tv is still making
money regardless that everyone thinks its sh*t.

Thats it for my rant on this manufacturer for this month.

Have fun,

Arnold