[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Wed Jun 30 14:05:30 UTC 2010

Am 30.06.2010 14:37, schrieb Dave Phillips:
> Greetings,
>
> <caffeinated_rant>
> You're welcome to try to change it, but you're
> not welcome to break it as though it doesn't exist or because you
> believe it's unjust.

In this I am absolutely with you, Dave.
It is absolutely NOT cool and rebbellious to ignore the rights of
authors if they choose to claim such rights. It is simply cheap and
uncivilized behaviour.

As I see the situation here in Germany today, many things should change
about Copyright-laws and the way they are enforced. But still I think
simply breaking these laws on a dayly basis wont make a change for the
better.

Fact is: creative work has its value and many creative work demands
investments. Try to make a simple movie, say: a comedy, without any
budget, then think about how such work could be financed. Find out about
the average rent for a rehearsal-room in your city, the price of
equipment and then think about how to raise the fundalation for a rock-band.

And I mean it: think!
Ignoring the traditional system to get artists/programmers/performers
paid for their work is not enough. I think the traditional system is in
desperate need for changes: it is bad, it takes 80% for itself and its
burocracy and only 20% for the artists, that have to pay all the costs
from this 20% also and thus can be happy to keep 2-3% for themself.

So what about a different system? If you want to make a difference,
start paying for Downloads of CC-Music you could get for no-cost as
well. Start paying for software that is GPLd if it is important for you
that this software is developed. Donate 5 bucks on the artists website
and the artist gets about 90% - fair system. fair deal. You only have to
embrace the idea that you are willing to contribute you share without
being forced to.
Until such a system is widely accepted, enforcement the way ASCAP or
GEMA does it will prevail.

best regs.
HZN
btw:get some CCed tunes from my website, if you want to get something
freely without being a stupid :-)
http://lapoc.de/demos