[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Jun 30 16:44:27 UTC 2010

Excerpts from drew Roberts's message of 2010-06-30 17:33:53 +0200:

> > > Isn't this a false dichotomy though? Why must a musician try and make a
> > > living from royalties? Are there no other options?
> >
> > I don't assert that a musician must *only* make a living via royalties.
> > Performance and teaching come to mind as viable add-ons. There may be
> > others.
>
> I am interested in experiment with prepayments for production soon.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > dp
>
> all the best,
>
> drew

Regarding prepayment, the, well, I guess you could call them
experimental, band "Einstürzende Neubauten" did something like this for
a while. It was a subscription system where you'd get some new music and
I guess also other stuff every once in a while. It was even more
experimental music than usual and I think not available through other
channels. I wasn't subscribed and don't know anyone who was, but some
more details can be found on their webpage. They are reasonably well
known, the best known member is probably Blixa Bargeld. Anyway, it seems
like they stopped the project after a few years.

Another prepayed project is of course paniqs http://www.the-album.cc/
which seems to be doing fine with regards to fund raising, even if the
goal isn't met yet (800 Euro missing, 11 days to go).
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan