[LAU] OT: linux video?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Mar 1 15:00:11 EST 2010

On Mar 1, 2010, at 8:15 PM, Hartmut Noack wrote:

> Am 27.02.2010 20:35, schrieb Aaron L.:
>> Hi all.
>
>> I've been using UbuntuStudio for the past couple of years and the video
>> editing software that came with it leaves much to be desired.
>
> But you know, that you can install everything, that runs on Linux on any
> Linux-Distro?
>
> In my experience, what distro you use becomes lesser important nowadays
> and that is good news. Even though not every distro is the same as
> top-notch for audio/video any general-purpose distro is at least capable
> to get things done. So I would not consider switching from a running
> distro before I really know, that I cannot do, waht I want with the
> system already installed...

I concur. The problem is that some distributions are rather picky when it comes to non-free Codecs.
For that reason there came to be openartist, artistx, sahabuntu, dyne::bolic, younameit..
FWIW I stay with debian plus debian-multimedia for the non-free stuff; works just the same if not better :)

> Back to topic:
>

>> Just curious if anyone's actually producuctive with anything video and linux
>> related.
>
> I do more and more video-stuff on Linux and most of the time I use OME -
> openmovieeditor for it:
>
> http://news.openmovieeditor.org/
>
> Richard Spindler has done a great job with integrating OME seamelessly
> with jack. It really works great, including transport.

Thanks. While Richard has done a great job with OME. The JACK interface
and transport sync was implemented by yours truly.

> OME uses to crash
> from time to time but not the same as often as kdenlive and it is
> lighter. The same as KDEnlive it has a desaster-recovery-mechanism it
> simply stores its XML-projectfile contineously - that is: I never lost
> more then ~10 seconds of work with any crash of it.
>
> So in a word: if you want to edit video under Linux with an app
> integrated in jack OME could be worth the try ;-)

I like OME a lot for smaller projects. The GUI is efficient and intuitive and it's got all features to make a nice movie. Currently the only issue with it is the lack of export-format-presets.

For more elaborate projects there's cinelerra (until lumiera is born) and Blender which offers a 2D video-timeline as well.

And of course there are quite a few alternatives: pitivi, kino, kdenlive,.. A while ago I started http://linuxfilm.org/start (hosting provided by linuxaudio.org!) - an index of video-apps for GNU/Linux. It's currently being merged into and migrated to http://openvideoalliance.org/wiki/

Non-Linear Video Editors (NLE) on GNU/Linux still leave a lot to be desired. However it's not unheard of to make award winning films for renowned film-festivals on that platform.

>> Thanks.
>>
>> -Aaron

Cheers!
robin