[LAU] bare minimum session handling

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 18:52:20 EST 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Renato wrote:

> Hello, from users' perspective, what are currently the options for
> minimum session handling? I'd just like for a starter to have multiple

LASH is considered obsolete.  LADI is under active
development and has seen limited adoption.  There are
current talks of adding a session management infrastructure
to the JACK API.  This is currently in the "heated
discussion" phase.  :-)

Currently, for guys that need to get work done, the major
methods are:

   1. custom-written bash scripts for your setup.

   2. LADI

   3. qjackctl has a cool patchbay feature that
      handles most of my needs.  You set up some
      basic connections/rules, and whenever some
      ports appear that match your rules it
      will connect them.

> In second order, what may we expect from the near future in terms of
> more advanced session handling (lash, ladi)? Are they
> (lash/ladi) currently usable and used? (Certainly they lack
> documentation)

Future:

LASH is dead.  Other than that, it still remains to be seen.
LADI is popular with quite a few devs, but because it uses
DBUS for IPC it has met with a lot of criticism from other
devs.  At the moment, it looks favorable that JACK will
provide some basic infrastructure... but that's still
pending.  There are also some other independent efforts here
and there.  :-)

Hope this helps!

-gabriel