[LAU] Music made with linux: Modlys/Flow

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 01:29:26 EST 2010

rosea grammostola wrote:

> [offtopic]
> One thing is popping up in my head, after listening quit a bit to music
> made with Renoise, posted on this list and other places at the internet.
> The music made on Renoise sounds good most of the time, but I get the
> feeling that there might also be a negative aspect of the tool. I'm not
> sure if I'm right about this and not sure about what it is exactly but I
> think that 1) you can hear that people use the same tool, e.g. they have
> similarities in sounds/rhythms/musical tricks... 2) the mixing is always
> sounding 'smooth' in my ear, a bit too smooth maybe. The first music I
> heard made in Renoise sounded really good in my ear, but I feel I'm
> getting a bit bored about it sometimes.... not sure what it is...

Hmmm. Since this implies you're getting a bit bored with my music I have
to answer :-)

I don't think the program sounds in any particular way, and I can't
think of any "renoise tricks". But two things might make renoisers
sounds similar:

1) The simple fact that people with similar musical goals are attracted
to the program. Makes sense for a not-so-general-daw as renoise (I
wouldn't record my jazz quintet with it, for instance).

2) The community is sharing their music, much like we do here, and
although there's a lot I don't care so much for, there's some that
really inspires me. It might work the same way for others.

An example of something that changed for me it master compression. When
doing the first album I swore I wouldn't take part of the loudness war,
and no master compression was used. Now I realize that on most tracks on
the new album, the sound I hear in my head involves quite heavy (for my
standards at least) master compression. My involvement in the renoise
comunity, might play a role in that. But it's not really renoises (or
the communitys) fault, just something I picked up and decided had to be
a part of my music.

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk