[LAU] The tool is the message... (was: Music made with linux: Modlys/Flow)

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:33:44 EST 2010

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> rosea grammostola wrote:
>

>> [offtopic]
>> One thing is popping up in my head, after listening quit a bit to music
>> made with Renoise, posted on this list and other places at the internet.
>> The music made on Renoise sounds good most of the time, but I get the
>> feeling that there might also be a negative aspect of the tool. I'm not
>> sure if I'm right about this and not sure about what it is exactly but I
>> think that 1) you can hear that people use the same tool, e.g. they have
>> similarities in sounds/rhythms/musical tricks... 2) the mixing is always
>> sounding 'smooth' in my ear, a bit too smooth maybe. The first music I
>> heard made in Renoise sounded really good in my ear, but I feel I'm
>> getting a bit bored about it sometimes.... not sure what it is...
>>

> Hmmm. Since this implies you're getting a bit bored with my music I have
> to answer :-)

:)
It was better if I started a new thread about it, obviously [offtopic]
marks wheren't enough to make it really offtopic. On the other side,
it's not really offtopic, cause you use Renoise.
But let me state clearly that I really appreciate your music, I listen
to it and let others do so ;)
> I don't think the program sounds in any particular way, and I can't
> think of any "renoise tricks". But two things might make renoisers
> sounds similar:
>
> 1) The simple fact that people with similar musical goals are attracted
> to the program. Makes sense for a not-so-general-daw as renoise (I
> wouldn't record my jazz quintet with it, for instance).

It could be that it is time for me to listen to some Miles Davis records
again ;)
The non-electronic ones...
> 2) The community is sharing their music, much like we do here, and
> although there's a lot I don't care so much for, there's some that
> really inspires me. It might work the same way for others.

Mmh yeah interesting how this might work.
> An example of something that changed for me it master compression. When
> doing the first album I swore I wouldn't take part of the loudness war,
> and no master compression was used. Now I realize that on most tracks on
> the new album, the sound I hear in my head involves quite heavy (for my
> standards at least) master compression. My involvement in the renoise
> comunity, might play a role in that. But it's not really renoises (or
> the communitys) fault, just something I picked up and decided had to be
> a part of my music.

I often hear that 'American records' are mixed heavily and 'smoothly',
while in Europe they tend to let the sound a bit more as it is. Maybe a
lot of Americans use Renoise then ;)

This might also be a discussion about Linux modular stuff compared to
Renoise. It could be that it can be hard to let a recording/ mix made
with Linux tools, sounds very smooth. In Renoise this isn't a problem at
all obviously, but then the question is what you like best...

I wish you many times of 'flow' Atte ;)

\r