[LAU] Outboard gear users: What MIDI interface are you using?

Aurelien tyranorl at free.fr
Sat Mar 13 04:05:51 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:05:59PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote :
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Emiliano Grilli
> <emiliano.grilli at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Rob Wentz <wentzr at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> With soooooo much stinkin attention and emphasis put towards softsynths these
> >> days, I'm curious... what are all you *other* linux audio musicians who
> >> actually still use outboard gear (more than relying on softsynths)  using as a
> >> MIDI interface for your linux sequencers??
>
> hammerfall DSP -> Ensoniq KMX-16 (a 15x16 MIDI patchbay - if you ever
> see one of these on craigslist or ebay, grab it, its awesome if you
> can pay < $150 for it). somehow, every port on the back is in use ...
> not sure how i got there given that i really don't make music ...

Mmmmmh sounds interesting, indeed. By the way, if anyone is interested,
I've bought an audio Patch Bay (16x16) which is midi-controllable and
programmable, but I don't have any use of it anymore by now.

Concerning MIDI gear, I use several things:

- 1 MIDISPORT with 1 in 1 out, it's not fantastic, especially because
  udev won't see it if you turned the power off (not halt, but not power
  incoming to the computer plug), which means actually every time you
  change the place you play (in every venue...)

- 2 PODs (one XT PRO and one Bass XT PRO) which have MIDI ports for
  incoming and outgoing datat, and which are linked with USB to the
  computer

- several USB things like Korg NanoKontrol, MIDITECH MTB COMMAND...

- by now, I don't not use it, but my Saffire Pro 40 also have MIDI
  input/ouput ports, but when I tried them a few monthes (years ?) ago,
  they didn't work with the current FFADO driver, so I didn't try since.
  I should, though, as I could easily ommit the MIDISPORT then.

Here it is.

Aurélien