[LAU] Slightly OT: Live gig with Linux AV

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Mar 23 10:51:20 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am running an event in Sydney this Fri 26. It's my first real Linux
Audio gig for almost 6 years so it's well overdue. this is going to be a
purely DJ set but I am going to do as much as possible with Linux tools
just for the fun of it. I figure I might as well push my self and the
tools rather than play it safe with standard equipment.

Details here: http://djcj.org/events

I thought some of you might be interested in the tools (weapons) I have
chosen for this one.

jack2
qjackctl+alsa_out
jackEQ
jack-rack
alsaplayer x 2
Hydrogen
LiVes
vlc
xjadeo
mplayer

I am running it all on my Compaq Presario cq40 dual core AMD Turion, 4GB
RAM with onboard ATI /radeon graphics and hda_intel audio. Dual Monitor
setup running closed source ATI drivers for opengl hardware acceleration
and Gnome desktop on Fedora 11. I'm also currently upgrading to f12 a
second Toshiba notebook. Single core Intel Celeron, 2GB RAM, nVidia
quadro graphics which I might take along too for additional graphics and
to take some load off the primary machine if I can get it all upgraded
and running smoothly in time. In that case I will run the audio tools on
the main machine and LiVes on the other.

For master audio output I will be using my maudio USB Quattro with
jackEQ as always. I will be running the quattro into the house pioneer
dj mixer for additional control and fx and will have 2 cdj's for
additional sampling mayhem and backup in case anything goes wrong with
the primary machine...

I also have an external vga->composite adapter box to allow me to
connect to the inhouse projector.

Unfortunately with all that running I don't think the disks will be able
to cope with recording the session. With LiVes in the mix I'm looking at
a stable 80 - 90% CPU load. Currently the memory is stable at 65%.  If I
get the second machine up I will look at piping the house mix back into
the system and record the whole thing on the second device for the
quattro. alsa_in to the rescue there too.

Cheers.

--

The power to regulate the money supply is also the power to regulate it's value.

Maximise profits regardless of social and environmental costs

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd