[LAU] Who or What is the Mixer (and why titles matter)

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu May 6 01:58:48 UTC 2010

On 05/06/2010 02:08 AM, J bz wrote:
> Hey List,
>
> I'm presenting a paper about the role of the mixer in live performance.
>
> If you will indulge me for a moment, here is the abstract:
>
> As a Laptop musician working within Contemporary Music my skills span
> many areas including programming, composition, improvisation and
> performance: in sum, these could be described as music production.
> None are possible without some rudimentary experience and knowledge of
> sound engineering.  But what would be the appropriate term in a score
> for the individual whose instrument is the mixing desk?  Sound
> engineers are the bottom of the the musical strata for recordings and
> performances, yet their job can involve as much creative and
> improvisational input as either composers or performers.
>
> In this presentation, I will examine the possibility that a new term
> is needed and a clear distinction required between those skilled in
> technical setup for recordings and concerts and those whose  more
> creative input goes beyond pushing occasional faders from the back of
> the room during concerts.  Drawing on the past work of artists such as
> King Tubby and performances by modern producers (Adrian Sherwood) I
> will argue that it is time for a general reappraisal and
> acknowledgement of parity for those who 'play' the mixing desk.

I have found that most dub engineers who play live refer to themselves
first and foremost as Technicians and occasionally as MC's (as in Mass
Controllers the original meaning of the word).

You will also hear the term Sound Engineer a lot. I have yet to meet any
professional dubster who refers to themselves as a musician when they
are behind the desk. Dub and the creation of a dub soundscape is a
matter for the technical minded and while the outcome is a musical
format the skills required are very much of a technical nature.

You don't play the mixing desk. You control or drive it.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd