[LAU] Who or What is the Mixer (and why titles matter)

J bz jbeezez at googlemail.com
Thu May 6 09:17:22 UTC 2010

Hey again,

Thanks a lot to everyone for weighing in with this, really interesting
stuff.

I guess the kind of term I'm looking for is something that would make it
obvious to a 'lay' person, what the individual who has a more creative
approach to the desk does.  Which I think would then widen the concept that
there is more to the use of the mixer and associated goodies than creating
what is a simulcrum of a recording.  Within the dub fraternity there is
already appreciation of that role but I feel it's a little too genre
specific.  'Mass controller' is a great phrase though I would have to say
that M.C. is surely Master of Ceremonies originally?

Within contemporary classical music there are some fantastic parts within
scores for the mixer and associated fx though they are always (so far in my
research) titled for the objects rather than an individual.  Stockhausen and
Trevor Wishart being 2 good examples.

There is also an educational aspect for me to this.  I, as I am sure are
many other people, somewhat concerned about the exponential rise in places
within higher education for sound engineers and the number of studios that
are closing down.  Will most trainee sound engineers experience of running a
serious desk only come from coursework?  I like the idea that it should be
possible to expand musical horizons in many directions and that many people
who do music tech should view this as creative training rather than
technical.  My experience is that many people come into these courses via
making music rather than a background of maths and physics, so why shoehorn
individuals into roles they aren't suited too?  I'm wandering and thinking
aloud here:)

Could this just be titled as 'live producer'?

Cheers again, I'm finding this all fascinating.

Very best wishes,

Jb