[LAU] LAC2010, some thoughts

rosea.grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Thu May 6 18:42:52 UTC 2010

Hi,

LAC2010 some thoughts:

Great organization and kudos for Marc and others for getting this
conference to The Netherlands. The advantage of having this conference
in a different country each year, is that more different people are able
to join and get enthusiastic.

The disadvantage of having one LAC each year on one continent is that
most people are from Europe, a few from USA. You could think of having
one LAC conference in Europe and one in USA.

I've spoken to a lot of kind, special and smart people on LAC, that was
great.

I've been inspired by art projects like those of Marije and I saw how
interesting the combination of technology, computers and art can be.

The live performances where great. I especially liked the piece of
Fernando.

All the performance where 'experimental music' or livecoding. As
mentioned in the 'future of LAC meeting' I would like to see more Jazz,
Rock etc.

Also most people I met on LAC where developers, I'd like to see more
users and more workshops like the ones from Lieven, Jorn and the
beginners workshop Supercollider from Marije and others.

I agree though that the main goal of LAC should be for developers to
meet and present what they're doing. But once that goal is set firmly,
without discussion, I think there should also be more space and
interesting stuff for users. The mentioned alternatives for users like
Pixel festival and Creative Commons festivals, don't fill in the need
for the average Linux audio rocker imo. They are more aiming on
technology and art or has to little to do with Linux.
Maybe the users (LAU, LinuxMusicians, LinuxMAO etc.) should organize
their own festival and get their place on (or call it around) the
regular LAC to organize workshops and concerts.

Interesting was also the confrontation between the OSX users from HKU
and the open source advocates. In this I agree both with Fons (and
others) and Marc. The focus should be Linux audio and so we want to see
live music made on Linux. But I think it's also a good think to let
students arts meet open source software and let FLOSS developers meet
artists who like to make bread with their art.

Thanks again!

\r