[LAU] DSP filter design tools?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu May 6 19:27:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Louis Gorenfeld
<louis.gorenfeld at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>  If you just want to mess with biquads, this is a really good applet
> for playing around with them:
> http://www.earlevel.com/Digital%20Audio/PoleZero.html .. it'll show
> freq. response, but unfortunately won't show impulse response or
> phase.  But, I've found biquads to be a good starting point for
> filters because there is so much information available on their
> mathematics and you can create so many different types of filters with
> them (btw have you checked out Julius O. Smith's site or
> www.dspguide.com?)

Fun little link. Thanks.

I have been checking out dspguide.com.

This one is actually nice from the desigh POV as it gives you actual
equations and parameters:

http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~fisher/mkfilter/trad.html

Go up one level in the URL to check out other filter types, etc.

>  There's also Pure Data, which is a free Max/MSP clone.  It supplies
> both real and complex pole/zero functions, and has an FFT function as
> well.  There's a learning curve there, but it's pretty flexible.
> You'll probably want something to help you solve for gain though if
> you end up using Pd.

I think Pd seems like way too much for what I want, and might not be
very applicable to my end goal.