[LAU] perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio)

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun May 9 11:03:07 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 06:23:10PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> > So how about these cards and alsa/jack? Any trouble out there with
> > bleeding-edge distros?
>
> my reading of this (and the related ALSA bug report) is that this is a
> Pulse-only bug, because its related to Pulse's attempt to provide a mapping
> of whatever-it-is-that-the-hw-provides into
> standard-things-that-users-can-know-and-love.

I'm using an EWS88MT on a 2.6.33 system, Alsa 1.0.22,
and it works as expected.

Cards such as the EWS88MT provide 8 identical AD/DA
channels (also the connectors and signal levels are
all the same), and there's no way PA or any other
audio subsystem could determine which ones are e.g.
'stereo playback'. This should just be left to the
user to configure, including the option "don't ever
use this card".

Ciao,

--
FA