[LAU] Distribution Usage?

Zachary Klein zak at silver-chalice.com
Thu May 13 23:45:11 UTC 2010

If you're thinking of a DIY distro for audio, I'd recommend taking a look at
Gentoo or another source based distro that includes package managment. Or
maybe  a binary distro like Archlinux that makes installing source packages
easy.

The trouble with using LFS for any production environment is that when a new
release of Ardour or Rosegarden comes out that depends on a new version of
GTK or QT, which depends on a newer version of... well, you'll find yourself
in proverbial "dependancy h3ll" soon enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of LFS and have considered doing this very
thing (heavily optimized audio rig) with it, but unless you can be content
with a "static" system without major upgrades (which may mean not being able
to upgrade to some cool software in the future), it might not be worth the
trouble.

More on topic, what distros do folks recommend that include (or have
reliable 3rd party repos like PlanetCCRMA that include) a stable, highly
optimized rt-kernel?

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Harry Van Haaren <harryhaaren at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> You got that exactly right.  I'm trying to minimize my time and
>> effort from the time I start installing the new distribution to the
>> time that I can forget all the install and config work and get back
>> to music.  Sure, I could use Linux From Scratch, but it's not going
>> to meet the goal of getting back to music quickly.
>>

> Although your dead right there, that was my exacty thought today:
> I wonder should I try and do a LFS build & optimize for audio...
>
> I've decided im going to do it, but after exams are over.. (monday :-)
> Ill post if I ever get something useful!
> -Harry

> Spam/Virus scanning by CanIt Pro
>
> For more information see http://www.kgbinternet.com/SpamFilter.htm
>
> To control your spam filter, log in at http://filter.kgbinternet.com