[LAU] Distribution Usage?

Markus Schwarzenberg markus.schwarzenberg at googlemail.com
Wed May 19 07:03:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, 13 May 2010 18:45:11 -0500 Zachary Klein <zak at silver-chalice.com> wrote:

> More on topic, what distros do folks recommend that include (or have
> reliable 3rd party repos like PlanetCCRMA that include) a stable,
> highly optimized rt-kernel?

don't know if i really can recommend it, but i'm relatively happy with
opensuse 11.2. Their standard "kernel-desktop" package works well for me
with jack 2 and RME Digi96/8 Pro. However, recently there were two odd
issues, apparently triggered by some updates (I used the KDE4
"opensuse factory" packages, which change very often):

* ardour and other LV2 hosting apps stopped starting (sigsegv
  in a call to slv2_world_load_all). The reason was a wrong .so
  version of  /usr/lib/librasqal.so, namely the link
  librasqal.so -> librasqal.so.1  After changing this to
  librasqal.so -> librasqal.so.2 this worked again.

* very strange behavior of jack 1 (0.116.2) -
  oscillating CPU load between 40 and 99 % for a moderate ardour session.
  after switching to jack 1.9.5. (obs://build.opensuse.org/multimedia:libs)
  it's OK again: constant 14% load for the same ardour session.

--
Markus