[LAU] stuttering sound using vmware in ubuntu karmic

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed May 19 14:15:37 UTC 2010

On 05/19/2010 11:48 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> Brett McCoy wrote:
>> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom at neuroweave.nl>
>> wrote:
>>

>> What kind of audio device are you using? You can always turn off
>> pulseaudio... I wouldn't expect audio performance to be stellar inside
>> a VM, especially if you are using any kinds of samples for playback.
>> Is it possible to have Finale send MIDI to Linux and have Linux do the
>> audio playback using something like Fluidsynth?
>>
>> Alternatively, if you want an all Linux solution, use Lilypond for
>> your music notation! I moved away from GUI notation apps to Lilypond
>> and have never looked back.
>>
>> -- Brett
>
> Brett,
> Thanks for the fast answer. I arrange (and write) the last 6 years
> with Finale and am rather accomplished with it. I have tried (and
> still try) Musescore, but that is still lacking features I need (but
> it is coming). I am an arranger who want to hear what is written every
> say 4 bars or more as I arrange as well for Big Band as for 2 piano's.
> I have looked at Lilypond I think 8 years ago but I found it then too
> cumbersome and a very steep learning curve.
> The audio device I use is the built-in audio by NVIDIA (Device manager
> says it is a HDA Nvidia sound card) Although I'm a semi-professional
> jazz pianist (I'm retired) I don't care much for the audio from my
> computer. If I want to listen I use my sound-system. Since I recently
> can record with the Zoom R16 I burn it on rewritable CD's and if I
> want to record permanently I write on DVD (as that is 24-bit).
> You says that pulseaudio can be turned off? How? I thought it so deep
> - at least in Ubuntu - in the system that than all sound stops.
> O by the way, I have tried virtualbox instead of vmware but als the
> sound was lousy and moreover it played the the finale files 4 times
> slower than was original.
> In vmware I have Finale running via MIDI but that doesn't make any
> difference.
> Maybe you or somebody else has some suggestions?
> Thanks in advance
> Joep

You could try to run finale in wine -> jack-bridge -> jack

If you are using jack2 it will disable pulse audio when jack is started.
Not sure what the default is on ubuntu karmic.

You can also turn off pulseaudio temporarily with "pulseaudio -k"

However it might autospawn in which case you will need to disable that
by editing /etc/pulse/client.conf and changing "autospawn = yes" on line
26 to "autospawn = no"

then of course you will need to set the audio output in vmware to alsa
instead of pulse and you will need to check the default sound device is
set to hw:0 instead of pulse. You can force it by editing /etc/asound.conf

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd