[LAU] stuttering sound using vmware in ubuntu karmic

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Wed May 19 21:30:33 UTC 2010

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On 05/19/2010 11:48 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>

> You could try to run finale in wine -> jack-bridge -> jack
>
> If you are using jack2 it will disable pulse audio when jack is started.
> Not sure what the default is on ubuntu karmic.
>
> You can also turn off pulseaudio temporarily with "pulseaudio -k"
>
> However it might autospawn in which case you will need to disable that
> by editing /etc/pulse/client.conf and changing "autospawn = yes" on line
> 26 to "autospawn = no"
>
> then of course you will need to set the audio output in vmware to alsa
> instead of pulse and you will need to check the default sound device is
> set to hw:0 instead of pulse. You can force it by editing /etc/asound.conf

Bob Patrick,
Thanks for the answer.
I tried first with wine but that wouldn't run at all. Under virtualbox
(with Windows XP as guest) the sound was completely unusable and under
vmware it is the best with but not really usable. The problem is that
the same output sample (signal?) are repeated 3 or 4 times with
diminishing intensity and distorted. I changed in vmware the output
device to ALSA and disconnected the pulse-audio server, using the
PulseAudio Manager. I have sound from vmware but still stuttering.
In linux, with pulse-audio disconnected the youtube sounds are OK (I
test with Keith Jarret "Over the Rainbow"). The same file on the guest
XP gives no sound and is very slow (which in my opinion is ludicrous on
a fast 3-core system), but maybe I have to restart my system.
Fritz, I don't know what you mean with "the activation process..." of
Vmware or of Finale?
I'm using Finale 2008 with the correct activation key. On the VMware
list somebody said that the audio implementation of Vmware was OSS and
that it did not comply with the OSS under Linux. However, most guys
there are Windows users so I don't know what the value is of that
remark, moreover Vmware gives you emulation choices.
I hope I can find a solution, preferably with the help of this group and
when I have the solution I will report back.
Joep