[LAU] Complete MIDI confusion

Aaron Krister Johnson aaron at akjmusic.com
Sat May 29 17:16:51 UTC 2010

Hi,

It seems that I'm very confused by the whole jack MIDI system. Are
there some docs to refer to, as in a tutorial? I'm confused why Julien
needs to use so many Jack applications to set up a single MIDI
connection...it's certainly less involved with aconnect. And I've
certainly started jackd with -X and have access to alsa sequencers--so
why the other timer and bridge apps, etc?

Best,
AKJ

On 5/29/10, Julien Claassen <julien at c-lab.de> wrote:
> Hello Paul!
>    There is a very good reason I use j2amidi_bridge, my sequencer _ONLY_
> understands ALSA sequencer ports, no JACKMIDI support and it doesn't look
> likely, that it will be implemented soon. :-(
>    Beyond seeing no reason to use the bridging, should it theoretically
> work;
> jack_midi_clock -> bridge (j2a:playback_ -> ALSA 129 -> sequencer?
>    Kindly yours
>           Julien
>
> --------
> Music was my first love and it will be my last (John Miles)
>
> ======== FIND MY WEB-PROJECT AT: ========
> http://ltsb.sourceforge.net
> the Linux TextBased Studio guide
> ======= AND MY PERSONAL PAGES AT: =======