[LAU] Complete MIDI confusion

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sat May 29 16:59:36 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Aaron Krister Johnson's message of 2010-05-29 19:16:51 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that I'm very confused by the whole jack MIDI system. Are
> there some docs to refer to, as in a tutorial? I'm confused why Julien
> needs to use so many Jack applications to set up a single MIDI
> connection...it's certainly less involved with aconnect. And I've
> certainly started jackd with -X and have access to alsa sequencers--so
> why the other timer and bridge apps, etc?
>
> Best,
> AKJ

It's incredible how often I can plug my blog recently :P
It's an attempt to explain what the different kinds of midi do and how
they're used:
http://murks.lima-city.de/serendipity/index.php?/archives/7-ALSA-and-JACK-MIDI-explained-by-a-dummy-for-dummies.html

It doesn't cover everything Julien tries to do. It doesn't cover
jack_transport (it has nothing to do with midi) and doesn't cover midi
synchronisation methods like MTC, SMPTE and whatever else there might
be.
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan