[LAU] Music made with linux: Or how an infinite number of monkeys came up with this.

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Tue Nov 2 10:58:18 UTC 2010

Hi Andrew

Thanks, I did enjoy these and they're quite nicely done. I think I'd
echo many of Julien's thoughts though to make them even better.

I'm not at all keen on the drums in Adventa: I was taken back to my
school days and the sound of footballs or basketballs being unleashed in
the gym for games or PE :-( I don't know what your approach to reverb
is. If you're just using one reverb for everything, I'd suggest trying
compression and some low pass filtering on the kit's send to the reverb,
to calm the rampant early reflections which are almost drowning the
source. Maybe adding a touch of delay on the send would help distance
the early reflections a bit to make the source stand out a little more.

If you're using separate reverbs for each section I'd consider changing
the 'verb and/or compressing and LPFing the drums. If it's a question of
distance, you could put a very short (sub-1 second) ambience reverb on
the kit to push it back and then use rather less of the main 'verb for a
sense of space.

If you really want to achieve a sense of realism -- that this is an
orchestra recording -- I'd consider moving the woodwind from panned
hardish right to somewhere a bit more central but in front of the brass
where depth is concerned.

I like the second piece better, I think because of its slightly darker
atmosphere (but that's just the way I like things) and the arrangement
sounds a little better. Again, I would have had the woodwind in the
centre, but that's just a matter of taste.

All the staccato phrases jarred a bit with me. On the first listen they
sounded a little bit too, hmm, almost perfect, as if all the notes are
exactly the same length. A bit of humanisation on that front, or even
just put a few legato notes in the middle of each phrase might help. I
was thinking just a couple of notes here and there -- you have a nice
contrast between the staccato phrases and the legato ones played by
other instruments and you wouldn't want to dim that contrast.

I do really like the clarinet part -- I love clarinets, beautiful
timbre. I think you could develop the part, maybe begin with much more
sparse staccato notes to lead into the existing part to allow the
clarinets to languish a while longer.

The thought has just struck me that it's not dissimilar to some of the
stuff by the Hungarian orchestral prog band After Crying on their album
Megalazottak Es Megszomoritottak, which is great stuff.

Sorry for rambling, but thanks for sharing.