[LAU] screencasting with ffmpeg

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Thu Nov 4 18:59:52 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010 07:01 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> Ive been trying to follow this link
>
> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/screencasttutorial
>
> 1. It says xsession wont work in gnome -- any alternatives?
> 2. It says get an ffmpeg with h.264  -- where/how to get?
>
> thanks
>
> Rustom

Hello Rustom,

You could try running gnome-session. Seems to work for other people:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/xephyr.html

The problem with running multiple Gnome sessions as the same user is
that Gnome wants to start a lot of Gnome related services and this can
cause weird behavior. That's why I use a minimal window manager myself
as the host in which I run Xephyr.

And for ffmpeg to support h.264 you have to compile it yourself as most
distro's do not ship ffmpeg with support for h.264.

Best,

Jeremy