[LAU] Music made with linux: Abundance - Ambient-Psy-Trance

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Nov 5 07:42:04 UTC 2010

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> I have uploaded a new version which I think fulfills the Ambient aspect of
> the project. It also has some aspects of Gregorian chanting, Buddhist
> chanting and Mongolian throat singing which made it into the mix. Totally
> unplanned. IMO it gives the overall soundscape a very meditative feel now.

Wouldn't say meditative. The spoken word sound is too interruptive and
distracting for that. Also, the repetitive "1950's UFO sound effect"
sounds don't seem to fit that idea, either.

I do wonder what it might be like listening to a full Ambisonic version
of it, on a real Ambisonic sound rig.

> http://djcj.org/audio/kotau/abundance

Thanks for the OGG file, I wouldn't have listened again if I'd had to do
another 700MB download.

> I think I have added some more conventional musical qualities with this
> mix and the overall sound is quite soothing to listen too. Especially the
> end section which comes over in waves which I find to be contextually
> appropriate given the content of the material.

It sounds like a soundtrack for a bad 1970's psychedelic/art film.

More interesting than the first version of it, but I think I've heard
enough to decide that ambient-psy-trance isn't for me.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community