[LAU] Sampler project. First volley of questions

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Nov 18 13:23:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Batz <batzman-lau at all-electric.com> wrote:

> the bits. This thing apparently sports a celeron 200. I can't glean the
> speed from the manual but I gather it's at least 1.2 Ghz.

VIA h/w from that era is just plain goddam awful. You need it like a
vampire needs pernicious anemia.

> I'm not sure this would be fast enough for a fully fledged sampler but it
> might make a fairly wicked little synth.
>
> So excuse my ignorance but which would be the best audio distro to use? I
> was about to download slackware13. Slack has been my weapon of choice for
> years but if there's something better I should go with, then I'm all ears.

slackware doesn't use PAM by default. this makes the task of providing
your user account with access to SCHED_FIFO and memlock priviledges
more complex than it otherwise would be.

there is no single answer to the "best distro" question. this is
unfortunate, but true. just about any distro will do what you need -
the only real question is how much work you have to put in to make
that happen.

i would recommend starting by taking a look at AVLinux and 64Studio.