[LAU] Demo: Soda P - Icon of Your Time

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Fri Nov 19 00:49:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 11:10 +0100, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Despite all the instruments being played sloppily, the timing issues
> and my unstable vocals I had a great time mixing this song with the
> Furious Desertrix (Qtractor 0.4.7). With the new MIDI learn stuff it is
> now possible to do automation with the help of an extra 'automation'
> MIDI track. By using such a track I could automate the Degrade ladspa
> plugin (thanks Leigh Dyer for the pointer!) in the beginning of the song
> and the Calf Vintage Delay and Calf Phaser lv2 plugins I used for the
> vocals and the FluidSynth-DSSI strings.

Nice work! There's definitely an energy to it, and the arrangement is
great. The strings sit in there nicely, filling things out without being
overly audible themselves. I love the delay on the vocals, too :)

The only feedback I have is that it sounds a bit mid-heavy to me -- I
think I'd like to hear a bit more of a bass thump from the bass guitar,
and more high-end as well, possibly from the drums and vocals (and a
little on the guitar perhaps as well, or a little on all three!).

As you mention, this might be because you're mixing on headphones. I do
the same, just because I don't have monitors, and I've found it hard to
judge those things. The only advice I can give is to compare your mixes
to commercial tracks that have a similar sound, and listening to your
mixes on any other systems you have at hand to see how they sound there.

Thanks
Leigh