[LAU] controllerism on linux

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 18:34:01 UTC 2010

Hey!

I did actually do quite some controllerism, not with Live but with Dj
Traktor Studio. All my experiments on Linux showed that there is no reliable
way to get close to Moldover's level without using a proprietary app,
designed especially for that. If you use something that was not, you will
end up having trouble doing some basic operations. In fact, I had to spend
quite a lot of time with Traktor, to figure out the best mapping for Traktor
to suit my needs, just like Moldover had to work a lot at his method until
he came up with what he did.

Sooperlooper seems like the most elaborate tool on Linux in terms of being
midified, however a simple fact that it does not display the name of the
file you load makes it almost impossible to use in a controllerism
performance. Cyclone looks more promising (http://toxic.cubicarea.it/cyclone)
but I haven't tried it.

Freewheeling I also did not try - I mean, I did a long time ago and it
didn't cut it, but I do not remember the reason.

Anyway, do you have any controllerism experience?

L.V.