[LAU] jamin (was: Albums under a label recorded and/or mixed with Linux)

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sun Oct 3 10:31:59 UTC 2010

Excerpts from fons's message of 2010-09-30 00:11:32 +0200:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:33:37PM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
>
> > Wow, those dips are pretty deep.. about 25 dB..
>
> In theory they'd go to minus infinity. What is worse is that they
> are also quite wide at the -3dB points.

Afaik, -3dB == cutoff frequency, at least with those passive electronic
single pole low/highpass filters. So If I understand that and read the
picture correctly, you refer to the frequency range between the cutoff
of the low-band and the lower cutoff of the mid-band, which is about
300Hz, as well as the upper cutoff of the mid-band and the cutoff of the
high-band, which looks even wider to me, about 400Hz.

Those poor notes, if they fall into those holes they'll have a hard time
coming out again :)

I also wonder a bit why the 3kHz dip is at 3.1kHz..

> > Do I understand your hint correctly when I guess that if you invert the
> > mid band and add it at the right level the whole thing would end up more
> > or less flat?
>
> Just inverting it will produce a sum response that is more or less
> flat. It will have bumps of a few dB instead of the deep dips, but
> this can be corrected to some degree by adjusting the filter params.

Just as I expected. Hurray for DSP by pictures :)