[LAU] USB soundcard recommendation

allcoms allcoms at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 22:58:10 UTC 2010

If your laptop allows it, I can recommend a firewire-device like the
focusrite saffire pro24 which would do 4 analog inputs and 6 analog
outputs at 44kHz, 48kHz and 96kHz. And additionally has spdif io and
an adat input. And the price is somewhere around 300€.

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 11:23 PM, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
> Arnold Krille wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday 03 October 2010 12:41:30 allcoms wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Seeing as we have the ability, we'd like to record and mix @ 96Khz but
>>> my band mates internal laptop sound chipset can't do any better than
>>> 48Khz hence he can't use it for mixing and he's looking out for
>>> something that'd work well with ALSA thats guaranteed to be able to
>>> run JACK (at least for playback) at 24-bit/ 96Khz.
>>
>> I am not so sure you will get that many recommendations given that you
>> seem to need 96kHz.
>> The problem is that usb1.1 doesn't have enough bandwidth to do 96kHz, at
>> least not when there is two channels each for input and output.
>
> Yah, my UCA202 can do input or output @ 48KHz, but not both simultaneously.
> Overloads the USB port.

Sounds like 96K output over USB is a no go then.

>> And usb2 didn't have an audio-standard for a long time, so all devices use
>> their own protocol and therefor don't really have a linux-driver.
>
> Actually, my understanding is that there has been a USB2 audio standard for
> quite a while, but no vendors have ever made a device compliant with it.

So there are no known USB 2 audio cards that work with ALSA or OSS?