[LAU] USB soundcard recommendation

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Oct 4 06:56:36 UTC 2010

allcoms wrote:
> If your laptop allows it, I can recommend a firewire-device like the
> focusrite saffire pro24 which would do 4 analog inputs and 6 analog
> outputs at 44kHz, 48kHz and 96kHz. And additionally has spdif io and
> an adat input. And the price is somewhere around 300€.
>
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 11:23 PM, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>> Arnold Krille wrote:

>>> I am not so sure you will get that many recommendations given that you
>>> seem to need 96kHz.
>>> The problem is that usb1.1 doesn't have enough bandwidth to do 96kHz, at
>>> least not when there is two channels each for input and output.
>> Yah, my UCA202 can do input or output @ 48KHz, but not both simultaneously.
>> Overloads the USB port.
>
> Sounds like 96K output over USB is a no go then.

I think others have said that, too.

>>> And usb2 didn't have an audio-standard for a long time, so all devices use
>>> their own protocol and therefor don't really have a linux-driver.
>> Actually, my understanding is that there has been a USB2 audio standard for
>> quite a while, but no vendors have ever made a device compliant with it.
>
> So there are no known USB 2 audio cards that work with ALSA or OSS?

I don't know. ALSA's site might have a list.

I don't know OSS from a whole in the ground. I know it exists. I haven't
met a Linux distro in years that used OSS. I don't know if it's support
for USB2 audio hardware is any better than ALSA's, since the problem
seems to be uncooperative vendors intent on proprietary drivers ...

>>> If your laptop allows it, I can recommend a firewire-device like the
>>> focusrite saffire pro24 which would do 4 analog inputs and 6 analog outputs
>>> at 44kHz, 48kHz and 96kHz. And additionally has spdif io and an adat input.
>>> And the price is somewhere around 300€.

I think the original poster said something about not having Firewire on
the laptop in question, and apparently not having a modern PC Card
connection available, either. I don't know about that. My old laptops
have plain old PC Card connections on them, and apparently there are
many Firewire PC Cards available.

I'm not the original poster. My 5-year-old low-budget Toshiba laptop
came with a Firewire port. As did the Sony Vaio Superslim Pro my wife
used to have. Don't know about modern stuff, I don't have any of that
around here!

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com