[LAU] Heads Up :)

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Oct 6 22:52:47 UTC 2010

On 10/07/10 00:14, James Morris wrote:
> Hi Will,

Hi James,
I'm not Will, but also curious.

> Just curious, do you build all your audio stuff (from the kernel
> through to ardour) from source?
>
> I used to do that using debian to provide the base system, and X, and
> to provide the dependencies (where the packages were recent enough)
> required to build all my favourite audio software.

Why not use gentoo, then?

Compiling a customized (real-time patched) kernel makes sense, but
ardour and friends are available from Debian.

> I'm just wondering if it's getting any easier these days, ie, is there
> still much work to do, and is updating still a nightmare? (I used to
> sometimes find I was better off doing a new install).

Nightmare? quite the opposite. I've migrated the same Debian system over
4 laptops in the last ~7 years without re-installing. If you roll Debian
packages for custom compiled software (or use backports) it's a piece of
cake.

With apt-pinning it's possible to run a mixed system
stable/testing/unstable and aptitude's dependency resolver just rocks.
I only use 'stable' for servers though and stick to "A constantly usable
testing distribution for Debian" ( http://lwn.net/Articles/406301/ ) for
A/V Desk/Mac/Lap-tops.

2c,
robin