[LAU] [LAD] Some new things to play with

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Oct 13 11:04:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 08:39:35AM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 October 2010 03:16:08 Robin Gareus wrote:
> > OTOH in Torben's defence: It's kind of tricky to do so: There's no
> > AUTHORS file nor any ChangeLog or README which usually come with FLOSS
> > projects to simplify that process.
>
> I am not a lawyer but as far as I know the only legally binding place to list
> authors of the code is the actual code-file itself. Thats why all files have a
> copyright-header stating the authors and the license...

AFAIK that is correct. Anyway the AUTHORS, COPYING, INSTALL and README were
added yesterday.

> Of course it would have been more polite to send the patches to Fons first and
> ask for his input and thereby hope for inclusion in the official releases.

Which would not happen. I've made it clear enough in the past that
I will not support the current Jack session management system.

Of course Torben has the right to add it, and I more or less expected
this to happen as he wants to promote this system wich is mostly his
brainchild.

For me it's open question if going against the intentions of an author
will in the long term advance or degrade the open source ecosystem.
I don't think it will help to maintain a creative developers community.

But what really upsets me is a release that does not work correctly,
that clearly has not been tested to any real degree, and worse, makes
it look as if it was the original. I don not want to be associated
with any system that promotes such low quality standards.

Ciao,

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.