[LAU] [LAD] Some new things to play with

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Wed Oct 13 11:32:50 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 13 October 2010 07:04:03 fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 08:39:35AM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 October 2010 03:16:08 Robin Gareus wrote:
> > > OTOH in Torben's defence: It's kind of tricky to do so: There's no
> > > AUTHORS file nor any ChangeLog or README which usually come with FLOSS
> > > projects to simplify that process.
> >
> > I am not a lawyer but as far as I know the only legally binding place to
> > list authors of the code is the actual code-file itself. Thats why all
> > files have a copyright-header stating the authors and the license...
>
> AFAIK that is correct. Anyway the AUTHORS, COPYING, INSTALL and README were
> added yesterday.
>
> > Of course it would have been more polite to send the patches to Fons
> > first and ask for his input and thereby hope for inclusion in the
> > official releases.
>
> Which would not happen. I've made it clear enough in the past that
> I will not support the current Jack session management system.
>
> Of course Torben has the right to add it, and I more or less expected
> this to happen as he wants to promote this system wich is mostly his
> brainchild.
>
> For me it's open question if going against the intentions of an author
> will in the long term advance or degrade the open source ecosystem.
> I don't think it will help to maintain a creative developers community.

For me, I try to chill when people do what I don't intend with my stuff. So
long as there is clarity. Who knows, someone may come along and to the same
to them in a way that I end up liking even if I did not like the original
branch.

> But what really upsets me is a release that does not work correctly,
> that clearly has not been tested to any real degree,

To me, that should not matter so much if it is marked as alpha or pre-alpha
work.

> and worse, makes
> it look as if it was the original.

I can see how this would bother you if it points to you. Which is why I
wondered if some built in standard ways might help if adopted.

> I don not want to be associated
> with any system that promotes such low quality standards.

I put out some real junk when it comes to my lyrics and the early stages of
songs. I try to keep a record of the trail to improvement. I think this may
actually help and give encouragement to some. Not all works fall from the
tree fully formed, beautiful, ripe and delicious. That's how I sometimes
work. Still, I would not necessarily like people passing their junk off as my
junk even by oversight.

> Ciao,

all the best,

drew