[LAU] wanted:audio player

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sun Oct 17 08:01:48 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Jeremy Jongepier's message of 2010-10-16 23:13:26 +0200:
> On 10/16/2010 10:39 PM, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > for the N-th time I've been wasting my time trying to get
> > alsaplayer to work on a new system. So I'm looking for
> > another audo player with the following features:
> >
> > - Jack output, not autoconnecting.
> > - Plays anything via libsndfile + mp3 + CDs.
> > - Graphical interface but not dependent on Gnome or KDE.
> > - High quality resampling when necessary.
> > - No eye candy, 'equalisers', 'spectrum analysers' etc.
> > - Bonus points if it handles multichannel files.
> >
> > So far I haven't found anything.
> >
> > Ciao,
> >

> Hello Fons,
>
> First one that pops up in my mind is Aqualung but my bet is you already
> tried that one.
>
> http://aqualung.factorial.hu/
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

I second that, it's pretty much my favorite GUI player. It has its own
share of problems of course, and development is pretty much stalled
since a while, but it might do the trick.

If you don't specify the output and it finds jack running it will
autoconnect, however, 'aqualung -o jack' is enough to make it start
without autoconnection.

It uses libsamplerate for resampling, supports lots of formats,
depending on what's compiled in, but I think it's lacking in the
multichannel department.

Regards,
Philipp