[LAU] Arranging furniture in a room

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Oct 18 20:44:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 07:30:07PM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:

> Hello all!
>   I have the opportuinty to move all the furniture in my room, since
> it's being redecoarted. Now I wonder, if some of you might have
> tipps for an audiophile distribution of my room. :-)
>   The room is 4 by 4 metres. There's a door in the left rear corner
> and a window (roughly 1.8m width and 1.6m height) in the middle of
> the front wall. Furniture to move: A big closet (2m), a bed (1x2m),
> a desk roughly 1.8m by 1m) which holds the speakers. That's the big
> stuff. There are of course a few synths to somehow get close to the
> desk and maybe another shelf 2m width.
>   But would the general dimensions of the room and the basic set of
> furniture suggest a few does and don'ts. I guess the desk would sit
> well at the middle of one wall, because I usually sit there as well,
> when I do voice recordings. Song vocals I occasionally do somewhere
> else, but my microphone cable at the moment isn't very long. :-)
>   So suggestions are welcome and very appreciated!

If you really are moving everything around, and feel a bit adventurous
I'd suggest experimenting with a different speaker placement. ATM they
are on your desk, which is *really* close. It depends a bit on the type
of speakers you have, but you could try to put them at a larger distance.
For example, put the desk so you are with your back to a wall when
sitting at it, and put the speakers on the opposite wall (which could
be e.g. above the bed). It would feel rather different when mixing (and
I'm sure, at the start quite insecure). But maybe you'll like the result.

Ciao,

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.