[LAU] Arranging furniture in a room

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Tue Oct 19 16:18:03 UTC 2010

On 10/19/2010 02:35 PM, Arnold Krille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 19 October 2010 13:28:10 Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>> i usually try to avoid extreme rear reflections if i can, but i must
>> confess i don't really know why, and fons' suggestion to move to a rear
>> wall got me thinking...
>>
>> and of course it pays to think about early reflections that are so close
>> to the direct sound that they will incur audible coloration.
>
> As far as I understand it, if you plan to use drc to do additional correction
> via software, it is better to focus on correcting the long reflections in real
> world and tackle the early reflections in software.  The short reflections are
> easier to correct with shorter correcting impulses for convolution.
> I think this could also apply to short reflections after the signal from the
> wall directly behind you...

not a good idea. your speakers are not light beams. while you could add
a cancelling impulse after the main dirac that kills the rear
reflection, consider that the speaker sound also bounces off the
ceiling, floor and walls. for those signals, the killing spike will be
meaningless and deteriorate the sound.

iiuc, active cancellation is only safe for reflections that are very
tightly coupled to the speaker, and only if the direct signal dominates.
the only thing i could think of are reflections/refractions at the
speaker enclosure itself.
of course, all this is frequency dependent, so you can get away with
quite a bit of trickery in the LF band. but there it ends.

> If you have the space, placing the desk in the middle of the room could be
> worth a shot. I would definitely try to get the bed (or a sofa) in a place
> directly behind the working position. That way you (and fellow musicians) can
> enjoy the temporary and final mixes in a more convenient position.

LO at 87dBSPL

best,

jörn