[LAU] vmx1000usb mixer linux usb support

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 16:50:58 UTC 2010

2010/10/20 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de>:
> http://www.thomann.de/de/mackie_onyx_1640i.htm
> what irritates me is that this one advertises 16x16 firewire support
> (whatever that means), and when i used the onyx last, i'd see 18 ins but
> only two outs. so i guess there are different firewire interfaces out there,
> which means my remark should be taken with a grain of salt.

1640i boasts "Full 16x16 FireWire channel streaming for ultimate DAW
integration"

820i: "8x2 FireWire routing, including aux sends and pre/post EQ
assignment for all channels"

1220i: "16x2 FireWire routing for simultaneous streaming of aux sends
and pre/post EQ assignment for all channels...
Stereo playback from DAW, returned to control room or into channel for
integration into mix"

1620i: "16x2 FireWire routing, including aux sends and pre/post EQ
assignment for all channels ...
4 aux sends with pre/post assignment"

> i'll get the precise model number and maybe some firewire id and vendor data
> when i get the chance (the mixer in question is owned by a friend).

It's not like I'm going to buy one anytime soon. Especially ever since
I found out I could only get the features that had me interested in
the platform with a very large and expensive 1640i -- I'd hoped the
feature would have been in the 820i as well -- then you could easily
use it as a DJ mixer, or for live-sound with at least a x4 return (x2
for mains, x2 for headphone). These days, independent of whether
you're DJing, you still need "DJ style headphone monitoring" for
computer music performance, so I am quite disappointed that mackie
decided that "Stereo playback from DAW, returned to control room or
into channel for integration into mix" is all you need. The 820i ought
to be an 8x8, with 4 ins,  4 send/returns, 2 busses, and 4 assignable
bus-output returns.... then it would be very interesting!

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com