[LAU] yoshimi + jack session

allcoms allcoms at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 19:41:44 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield
<gabrbedd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, allcoms wrote:
>
>> If not, why JACK2?
>
> AFAIK you still need Jack2 for:
>
>  * SMP (parallel processing)
>
>  * dbus / pulseaudio integration
>
>  * better support for mis-behaving clients (does
>    not disconnect the client, whereas Jack1 ejects
>    the client after the first hiccup.
>
> -gabriel

Points 2+3 are cool, but its the SMP I'd like some more info on. Say I
have a quad core - how great a performance difference may I expect to
see between running J1 vs J2 and in what exactly? Track count? Smaller
latency? More plugins due to more DSP processing power? I'm presuming
the last one would depend on the plugins SMP support as much as JACK.