[LAU] yoshimi + jack session

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 20:11:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, allcoms wrote:

> Points 2+3 are cool, but its the SMP I'd like some more info on. Say I
> have a quad core - how great a performance difference may I expect to
> see between running J1 vs J2 and in what exactly? Track count? Smaller
> latency? More plugins due to more DSP processing power? I'm presuming
> the last one would depend on the plugins SMP support as much as JACK.

On the jack site, under documentation, there's some links to
academic papers regarding jack2.  You may also find some on
the wiki.

Long story short:

If you're running ONE Jack app -- no difference.

If you're running multiple Jack apps with somewhat
independent audio chains -- you can get parallel
processing between the the applications.  To take advantage
of all 4 cores you would need to be running four apps (e.g.
Ardour + Hydrogen + a synth + another synth).

Strictly speaking, this has nothing to do with plugins.
Plugins happen inside the application and Jack has nothing
to do with them.

-gabriel