[LAU] nama

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Sun Oct 24 13:58:01 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 04:52:38PM +0400, alex stone wrote:
> I get the following error when attempting to start nama:
>
> illegal return value, stopped at
> /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.12.2/Audio/Nama.pm line 1421.
>
> The app then stops.

> For those using this (and this is my first time), is this a regular
> error, or am i deep in the swamp with the alligators circling, so to
> speak?

Hi Alex,

That (admittedly cryptic) message means that
Nama sent a command to Ecasound using the Ecasound's Net-ECI
interface, and got a return value other than 256.

I don't know much about it, except that it has happened
before. The alligators usually swim off. :-)

To help me understand your environment can I ask:

- what OS version are you using?
- how did you install Nama?
- how did you install Ecasound?

Here are some things to try:

1) Start Nama with the -D (debugging info) flag.
You'll see what was sent and what came back before Nama
decided to fall on its sword.

2) Start Ecasound in server mode in a separate terminal with debugging
turned on:

    ecasound -K -ddd --server

Then start Nama again.  This will enable you to observe what
happens in Ecasound.

3) Install Audio::Ecasound to provide an alternative
interface to Net-ECI.

    cpan Audio::Ecasound

    -OR-

    apt-get install libaudio-ecasound-perl

    (The package is available for Debian 'sid' but will install
    on any Debian distribution.)

Note that Nama will always use Audio::Ecasound if available.
You will need to use the -n flag if you want to force it to
use Net-ECI.

Hope this helps.

Joel

--